Is there a better city in the world to grow old gracefully in than Miami? We don’t think so! We are so fortunate to live in Miami, where the weather is perfect much of the time, allowing people of all ages to stay vital. There are so many activities for mature adults to participate in year-round. Make sure you get your healthy dose of sunshine and fresh air by getting outside and moving. Participate in classes that stimulate your body and mind, benefit your overall health and contribute to longevity.
Miami-Dade is one of the largest urban counties in the country and was built around a lot of parks and nature trails that make outdoor activity accessible to all ages. Whether you are a senior looking for opportunities to walk, bike, swim, golf, do yoga or meditate, our community offers a beautiful and fun place to do it. It has been proven that spending time outside and engaging in healthy exercise, can lower the risk of stress, depression, hypertension, diabetes, arthritis and heart disease.
Some parks to consider:
- Oleta River State Park known for its mangroves and wild lantana flowers
- Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserves if you are on the lookout for alligators
- Key Biscayne National Park is a perfect picnic spot
- Everglades National Park Bobcat Boardwalk offers a lot of wildlife
- If you are looking for outdoor group fun, try Coral Gate Park, Kinloch Park, and Charles Hadley Park, which offer a variety of programs for mature adults.
Staying Active in Body and Mind
There are several senior centers where folks over the age of 54 can sign up for activities like Zumba, sewing, adaptive aquatics, fitness and a host of other programs. Keeping social as you age helps lower you risk of Alzheimer’s disease and reduces your chances of getting heart disease. It can also lower blood pressure and decrease you chances of experiencing mental health issues as you age.
Centers featuring senior programs include:
- Miami Gardens Senior Focal Point Center
- South Dade Park, The Arcola Lakes Senior Center
- Gwen Cherry Park
- Continental Park, Goulds Park
- Westwind Lakes Park, Deerwood Bonita Lakes
- Gesu Senior Citizen Center
- Senior Citizens Activities Center of Homestead
- North Miami Foundation for Senior Citizens
Our practice is personal. At Abella Health, we help you develop an individualized plan for wellness, and will guide you in making lifestyle changes, such as more exercise, that will benefit your cardiac and overall health. Call us today at (305) 901-7606 to make an appointment.
Abella Health is a unique practice that provides primary care, with a specialization in cardiac and vein care. Dr. Manuel Abella is an Interventional Cardiologist and Vein Specialist who has been practicing in the Miami area for over 23 years. We offer personalized medicine featuring physician and nurse practitioner accessibility 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you suffer from varicose veins or spider veins, we can help. The professional staff provides the most comprehensive range of treatments and diagnostic testing in the area. Contact us to learn how we can meet your specific medical needs.